Spring camping has arrived and the campground is buzzing with activity. We’ve recently had several groups emerge from the wet hibernation we Californians call winter. There was a group of hikers, a Cub Scout pack, a couple on their maiden voyage in their RV, two locals downsizing from their house into their motorhome and a Sierra Nevada College class. It’s been fun to see more tent campers and have folks roasting s’mores and enjoying the sunnier weather (did we mention it’s been a wet winter?!).
We’ve got a few Inn Town Campground events this month– we have our monthly Folk Trails Hiking Club meet up. If you missed the April hike, you can always join us for the 2nd Thursday of the month in May. Our 3rd annual Easter Egg hunt is scheduled for Saturday, April 20th at 3pm for Inn Town Campground campers (both young and old).
If you’re looking for a few ideas for things to do in spring, here are several:
- Buttermilk Bend wildflower hikes are every Saturday and Sunday mornings at 11am down at Bridgeport along the South Yuba River through mid-May. If you’ve never been down there now is the time of the year to go. Click here for the self guided trees and shrubs brochure or here for a Wildflowers directory.
- Sit under the cherry tree at Ike’s Quarter Cafe
- Check out the tulips at the Crystal Hermitage Gardens at Ananda. Open every day in April, the gardens showcase over 17,000 tulips.
- Go for an urban hike with Folk Trails Hiking Club (Thursday, April 11th, 4pm, meet at the Outside Inn).
- Come watch the TDS Enduro Mountain Bike Race (April 26th and 27th), California Dirt Classic (May 5th) or just bring out your bike and good for a lap on the Hoot Trail.
- Check out the dogwoods around downtown Nevada City.
- Come join Kial James of Nevada City Scenics and myself on Sunday, May 18th at the Inn Town Campground for another photo walk. This meet up is free and anyone is welcome.
We have now re-opened the glamping tents for the 2019 season and have had several campers in our new Riverside Retro RV. To see more photos check out either the Glamping Tent Gallery or Riverside Retro gallery. We have received a lot of great responses online to our newly improved G21; we expanded the tent to include two queen beds so we can better accommodate more families (or girls get togethers).
We know you’re all interested in knowing when the pool will be open. Depending on the weather, we should have the pool open and ready by mid-May. It’s only heated by the sun, so hopefully we get a few hot days to boost the temp!
If you’ve made it this far we’re going to do an organized spring campground tour. The tour is on April 27th at 1pm, if you’re interested in looking inside a couple glamping tents and getting some more information about what we have to offer. If you can’t make the tour on the 27th, our campground is open year-round and we welcome folks to stop by and learn more about our camping options during regular office hours. The summer dates are filling up, so if you’re interested in coming camping this summer, it’s definitely time to make a reservation.
And if you’ve made it this far and are as excited about summer camping as we are, we’ve got a spring fever special. Dust off the camping gear and make a new reservation Monday-Thursday in the next 2 weeks and we’ll give you 20% off, valid for all camping reservations (tent camping, glamping, RV sites and the Riverside Retro). We want to help encourage you to kick off the camping season, so take a spontaneous week-day getaway and come hang out at the Inn Town Campground.
We recently had a chance to participate in the CalARVC (California Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds) RV Park Days, a great day of workshops and industry connections. You can see some more photos online. Dan got the opportunity to do a presentation on Sustainability and for those who expressed an interested in knowing more, I’ve uploaded the slide show, click here to download the PDF.
To follow us along, make sure to check out our Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter feeds, if you’re looking for more local ideas, check out the Visit Nevada City Instagram feed or the Outside Inn’s blog. Plus, every week I update our weekly events boards on Pinterest. As always, we love hearing from our campers and look forward to seeing you round the campfire.