Spring in Nevada City…we’ve had sunshine, sunshine and sunshine… and 70 degree days. What we love about the spring shoulder season is that campers are starting to surface after a winter of forced hibernation (although many good nights of camping happen in the winter too, check out our Instagram post on our family’s recent adventure). This is the time of the year when we start getting more phone calls and online bookings and people really start to show how eager they are to get outside (often rain or shine) and enjoy our campground. Spring camping in Nevada City is one of our favorite seasons. The campground is now open 7 days a week, you’re welcome to stop by or give us a call, our hours are 10am-5pm.
Early spring camping is a great time to dust off the camping supplies and get comfortable sleeping under the stars again. Here are 5 great things about spring camping at ITC:
- Instant gratification, we’re all ready for a vacation, why wait?
- Availability: Spring often has great weather with warm days, but the crowds aren’t out yet. We typically have a lot of sites available, including our Glamping tents (they are reopening for the season throughout the month of March) and last-minute trips are easier to come by.
- Cooler Weather: Sometimes summer camping is just plain hot. For those that want to beat the heat, spring is a great time to sleep outside without 90 degree days.
- Evening Fires: The ground is moist and the air is crisp in the spring; all of that makes for a great time sitting by one of our smoke-free gas fire pits. They put off a lot of heat, without the fire danger and smoke of a regular fire pit and work perfect for that much needed s’mores.
- Spring Flowers: Mother nature kicks old man winter to the curb starting in February when the daffodils start to bloom. Typically the flowers start in mid-February and last well into May / June. Many of the local hikes have spectacular flower displays in the spring.
If you’re looking for a few spring ideas on things to do:
- Buttermilk Bend wildflower hikes are a great spring activity at Bridgeport along the South Yuba River starting mid March through mid-May. If you’ve never been down there, now is the time of the year to go. Click here for the self guided trees and shrubs brochure or here for a Wildflowers directory. Point Defiance Loop at South Yuba State Park at Bridgeport, another great spring hike.
- Go for an urban hike, sometimes just exploring downtown historic buildings or the cemeteries in Nevada City is a great socially distant activity.
- Book a site and join us for our upcoming Easter Egg Hunt (Saturday, April 16th, 3pm).
- Take a self guided tour at the Empire Mine Historic State Park and learn about the rich gold mining history.
- Check out the tulips at Crystal Hermitage Gardens, open every day in April.
- Bring your bike and enjoy a ride, check in with local bike shops for tips or head to the Western Gateway Bike Park.
We’re re-opening some of the glamping tents for the 2022 season next week. We are rolling out additional tents as the month continues, so keep an eye on that 5 day forecast and feel free to book a spontaneous glamping getaway. For those who want a look inside, check out this IGTV with a preview. Summer weekends are definitely filling up, but if you’re interested in a spring getaway, we still have availability.
The other thing the beginning of the camping season is great for is the shakedown mission. For those of you who bought a new trailer or have a new camping gear set up, why not come on a practice run at your local campground? It’s a great opportunity to test things out and trouble shoot any issues before you’re miles from home. And, if you’re like, get a list of all the things you either forgot to buy and/or pack in the trailer. And don’t forget, if you have questions, there’s probably someone at camp that can give you some friendly advice or suggestions.
And if you’ve made it this far, we’ve got a fun 2 fun March specials, in honor of our opening week, act now– book any 2 nights in the month of March and for tent or glamping get a free gas fire pit with your campsite. Or if you’re looking to have a RV getaway, book two nights (Sunday-Thursday) in a RV site and get 20% off your reservation. Look forward to seeing you at the campground.
To keep tabs on the fun at the campground feel free to follow us along either on Instagram or Facebook or Pinterest. We’re excited about the upcoming camping season (check out our IGTV update with a special giveaway!)… spring fever makes us all want to get outside!